As we all know, SFP+ transceivers are widely used in 10G Ethernet due to their small size, low cost and high density. It is currently the most common 10G transceiver in data centers and enterprise. Today we will introduce you all 10G SFP+ types and the differences between them.
Types of 10G SFP+ transceivers
There are two main types of 10G SFP+ transceivers, copper & optical. 10G SFP+ optical transceivers include SR, LRM, LR, ER, ZR, BIDI, CWDM and DWDM. Their interface types are all LC duplex and comply with IEEE802.3ae, SFF-8472 and SFF-8431 Standards.
- SFP-10GBase-SR transceiver complies with IEEE 802.3ae standard and is one of the most common transceiver in 10G Ethernet. SR stands for Short Range, which means that the maximum transmission distance used with multimode fiber can reach 300m. In addition, the wavelength of the SFP-10GBase-SR transceiver is 850nm, which has the advantages of low cost, low power consumption, small size and high density.
SFP-10GBASE-LR transceiver, LR stands for Long Reach. The wavelength of this module is 1310nm, which can achieve a maximum transmission distance of 10 km on single mode fiber.
Compared with SFP-10GBASE-SR adopting VCSEL lasers, SFP-10GBASE-LR is implemented with a distributed feedback laser (DFB), which has higher power and longer wavelength, and allow efficient coupling into the small core of single mode fiber over greater distances.
SFP-10GBase-LRM transceiver also has the characteristics of low cost, low power and high density, and the LRM stands for Long Reach Multimode. SFP-10GBase-LRM transceiver can be used with OM1, OM2 and OM3 multimode patch cable, and is mainly used for FDDI network and 10G data communication. Its low power consumption and excellent EMI performance can also fully comply with the MSA SFF-8431 standard. In addition, the upgraded version of SFP-10GBase-LRM transceiver is SFP-10G-LRM2 transceiver. This upgraded module has a transmission distance of up to 2km and is often used for LAN connections.
Compared with SFP-10GBASE-LR that only supports single mode fiber, SFP-10GBase-LRM supports singlemode and multimode fiber. The maximum transmission distance supported by multimode fiber is 220m, and the maximum transmission distance supported by singlemode fiber is 300m. SFP-10GBase-LRM adopt Linear SFI and SFP-10GBASE-LR adopt Limiting SFI, so SFP-10GBASE-LR cannot replace SFP-10GBase-LRM.
In addition, even if some CISCO equipment supports SFP-10GBase-LRM, it does not mean that the equipment supports singlemode and multimode transmission. For example, CISCO N3K-C3132Q-40GE equipment only supports SFP-10GBase-LRM over SMF only.
SFP-10GBase-ER transceiver, ER stands for Extended Range. Its wavelength is 1550nm. When used with singlemode fiber, the transmission distance can reach 40km, which is a high cost-effective ultra-long-distance optical modules.
- SFP-10GBase-ZR transceiver, ZR stands for Ze best Range. The transmission distance of this module can reach to 80 km. When used with single-mode fiber, the maximum transmission distance can reach 80km.
- 10G SFP+ BiDi transceiver is a singlemode bidirectional optical transceiver. BIDI SFP+ transceiver adopts WDM technology and has two optical fiber jacks. It needs to be used in pairs to ensure normal operation. However, the advantage of this module is that it can reduce the amount of optical fiber used in network deployment, thereby greatly reducing network Deployment cost.
- 10G SFP+ DWDM transceiver is a high-speed, large-capacity dense wave division multiplexing transceiver, usually used with singlemode fiber, the transmission distance can reach to 80km, suitable for long-distance data transmission. This module can meet the needs of ultra-large capacity and ultra-long-distance transmission to the greatest extent, and provides a stable guarantee for multi-service operation and future network upgrades. It has many advantages such as easy capacity expansion, flexible service access, high bandwidth utilization and high reliability.
- 10G SFP+ CWDM transceiver is a coarse wave division multiplexing optical transceiver, usually used with singlemode fiber. This module saves fiber resources by adopting CWDM technology, which can significantly improve the flexibility, economy and reliability of networking, and the power consumption of this module is very low, only 12.5% of 10G SFP+ DWDM transceiver.
10G copper transceiver is a photoelectric conversion module with an SFP+ package. The interface type is RJ45. It is usually used with a Cat6 or Cat7 network patch cable. The disadvantage of this module is that it does not support the DOM function and the transmission distance is 30m, so the application range is not wide enough.
The difference between 10G SFP+ optical module
10GBase-SR 10GBASE-LR 10GBase-LRM 10GBase-ER 10GBase-ZR Wavelength 850nm 1310nm 1310nm 1550nm 1550nm Distance 300m 220m 10km 40km 80km Cable Type MMF MMF SMF SMF SMF Laser Type VCSEL 850nm FP 1310nm DFB 1310nm EML 1550nm EML 1550nm DOM Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
10G SFP+ optical modules are widely used in the next generation of mobile networks, fixed access networks, metropolitan area networks, and data centers, and it will still be the trend within a certain time.